
Cedar Rapids' BEST Hotel? DoubleTree's Secret Revealed!
Cedar Rapids, You've Been Warned: DoubleTree's Secret is Out (And It's Good!) - A No-Holds-Barred Review
Okay, Cedar Rapids. Let's be real. You're not exactly known as a hotbed of high-end hotels. But the DoubleTree? Well, the DoubleTree by Hilton Cedar Rapids Convention Complex… it's secretly, sneakily… pretty darn good. And I'm here to spill the beans.
First off, the SEO stuff. Because, you know, gotta help people find this gem. Keywords, keywords, keywords! We've got: Cedar Rapids Hotel, DoubleTree, Iowa Hotels, Convention Center Hotel, Best Hotel Cedar Rapids, Accessible Hotel Cedar Rapids, Free Wi-Fi, Spa Hotel, Pool Hotel, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Bar, Family-Friendly Hotel, Business Hotel, Wheelchair Accessible, Airport Transfer, Pet-Friendly Hotel (nope, sorry folks! But keep reading.)
Now, the real stuff.
The Arrival & Accessibility: Smooth Sailing (Mostly!)
Okay, so getting to the DoubleTree is easy peasy. It's right off the main drag, and the signage is clear. Important Note: Accessibility is a HUGE plus. The lobby is spacious, welcoming, and… well, accessible! Wheelchair access is excellent, and I saw plenty of ramps, good signage, and generally thoughtful design. Elevator? Check. The whole "facilities for disabled guests" thing? DoubleCheck Tree did it right. It’s a major win.
But… a little hiccup? Well, sometimes the automatic doors felt a little slow to open for my friend, who uses a wheelchair, even though it's perfect for me. Not a dealbreaker, but a little nudge to the DoubleTree to speed that up for the next guest.
Wi-Fi and the Digital Life: Connected and (Almost) Happy
Let's talk internet. Free Wi-Fi. In every room. Boom. They get that. In this day and age, it's a MUST. Speed was pretty good, too. Streamed some Netflix without any major buffering issues. No complaints on the Wi-Fi front. They clearly put some thought in by offering Internet [LAN], Internet access – wireless, and Wi-Fi in public areas. This is a huge plus for any business traveler I can imagine.
Rooms: Comfort Zone Achieved
The rooms? Clean, comfortable. The beds were actually pretty good. Blackout curtains? Crucial. Air conditioning that actually WORKS? Praise be! They gave me slippers, bathrobes, and complimentary tea. That's what I call a good start. The extra-long bed, was fantastic! They had a refrigerator, mini-bar, and in-room safe box, which can definitely be a lifesaver. I was in a room with a window that opens, which is a welcome perk.
I also saw amenities like closet, coffee/tea maker, desk, hair dryer, full-length mirror, shower, smoke detector, sofa and, of course, towels. They didn’t skimp on this.
The real problem? Trying to decide what to watch on that 55-inch TV with a ton of channels! I wanted to order an on-demand movie. I wasn't at peace I wanted the extra charge! In the end, I settled for the satellite channels.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Buffet of Options (And Occasional Frustrations)
Okay, here's where things get interesting. The DoubleTree claims to have several dining options. They've got restaurants, a bar, a coffee shop, and a snack bar. The poolside bar is a nice touch, but let's be honest; it's Iowa. It’s not like you can spend too much time in it!
Breakfast: My Love-Hate Relationship. (A true confession!)
The breakfast buffet… It’s a solid Midwestern breakfast. There's the expected buffet with breakfast [buffet], Western breakfast, Asian breakfast. There's scrambled eggs, bacon (crispy, thank the lord!), sausage, pastries… It's not gourmet, but it'll fill you up. The coffee/tea in restaurant was always ready but service for it was a little slow from time-to-time.
The "Breakfast in room" option? Yes. Breakfast takeaway service? Also yes. Excellent. Although, I'll be honest, a few times I just wanted to crawl back into bed.
Dinner: An Evening of Surprises
Dinner in the main restaurant? A la carte in restaurant at its finest! The international cuisine was actually pretty good and they have a couple of Asian dishes. I'd give the soup in restaurant and the salad in restaurant a try! It was a pleasant surprise with the bottle of water to start.
Happy hour at the bar? Do it. The bartenders are friendly, and the atmosphere is lively.
Now, the frustrations… In my stay, the service could be hit or miss. Sometimes efficient, sometimes… less so. One night, waiting for a simple burger felt like an eternity. But that’s the only imperfection I saw.
The Amenities: Pool, Fitness, and Relaxation (Almost!)
Swimming pool? Yep, and Swimming pool [outdoor]. It’s pretty standard. Clean, well-maintained. There's a fitness center, gym/fitness with a decent selection of equipment. Honestly, after stuffing my face at the buffet, I needed that.
The other amenities? Well, the things like the sauna, spa, spa/sauna, and steamroom would have been nice. I'd have loved the Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap and Foot bath. But alas, they weren't available during my visit. A missed opportunity, DoubleTree!
Cleanliness and Safety: Solid, but Not Perfect
The cleanliness and safety thing? They were doing their best. Lots of hand sanitizer stations. The staff wore masks (even though it's a little relaxed now), and I saw daily disinfection in common areas and rooms sanitized between stays. They’re clearly taking it seriously. Kudos.
**There were even *Anti-viral cleaning products* and Profession-grade sanitizing services.
The "Rooms sanitization opt-out available"? This can be a great touch.
Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment? Yes!
Services and Conveniences: A Mixed Bag
The basics are covered. They have air conditioning in public area, daily housekeeping, laundry service, luggage storage, and a concierge, which is a nice touch. A doorman? Yes, yes, yes!
They also have: cash withdrawal, currency exchange, elevator, and invoice provided.
Now, for the quirks! I could have used the food delivery and dry cleaning options, but there were some limitations.
Now, the "Business facilities"? (Again, another win!)**Business facilities, *Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Meetings, Meeting stationery, and Xerox/fax in business center.* This hotel clearly knows its business travelers!
Family-Friendly?
They do a good job with this. The staff always friendly, and there are kids facilities which makes them extra great!
For the Kids: Babysitting service, Kids meal, Facilities for disabled guests. They're definitely trying!
Getting Around: Easy Peasy
The airport transfer is a HUGE plus. Convenient, reliable. They've got car park [free of charge], as well as car park [on-site]. No need to worry about parking fees. Now, I really wish they had bicycle parking!
In Summary: The DoubleTree, the Unexpected Champion of Cedar Rapids
Look. The DoubleTree by Hilton Cedar Rapids Convention Complex isn’t flawless. It's not the Ritz. But it’s a solid, comfortable, and surprisingly good hotel. It's got the basics down: clean rooms, comfy beds, free Wi-Fi, and good accessibility. The breakfast is filling, the bar is lively, and the staff, for the most part, are friendly and helpful. It earns its spot as the BEST Hotel in Cedar Rapids, especially if you're looking for a convenient, business-friendly, and comfortable stay.
The Quirks
- The elevator: it wasn’t the fastest!
- The service at breakfast and dinner: Can be a bit slow, but the staff always try their best!
Final Verdict: Book it. You won't be disappointed.
Now, for the irresistible offer – My Secret Weapon for Booking the BEST Hotel:
Tired of Boring Hotel Stays? Escape to the DoubleTree by Hilton Cedar Rapids!
Here’s the Deal:
- Book a stay of 2 nights or more and get a FREE upgrade to a room with a view (subject to availability)!
- Enjoy 20% off your total bill at the on-site restaurant, specializing in international cuisine!
- Receive a complimentary welcome drink at the bar!
- **FREE late check-out (until 1 PM

Alright, buckle up, buttercups. This ain't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. This is a vibe. We're going to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and we're staying at the DoubleTree. Let's see if we can survive…and maybe, just maybe, have a little fun along the way.
The Cedar Rapids Debacle (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Iowa Corn)
Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread in the Lobby
1:00 PM: Flight lands. "Welcome to Cedar Rapids!" the bored gate agent chirps, as if this land of… well, I-don't-know-what-yet, is the most exciting place on earth. Okay, okay, I signed up for this. Let's do this.
1:45 PM: Arrive at the DoubleTree. That aroma! That sweet DoubleTree cookie smell. I swear, it's the hotel equivalent of a comforting hug. I grab one. I eat it in two bites. Bliss. Then… a sudden, crushing wave of “what am I doing with my life?” washes over me in the lobby. You know, that classic travel-induced existentialism.
2:00 PM: Check-in. The front desk lady seems genuinely surprised someone has graced the hotel this early. "Oh, you're a bit…early," she says, with the forced cheerfulness I reserve for my least favorite relatives. Room isn’t ready. Okay, fine. I’ll go explore the “nearby attractions” and find my first Iowa experience.
2:30 PM: Wandering around near the hotel. Turns out, "nearby attractions" means a strip mall and a…wait for it…gas station. And I'm suddenly terrified. I realize it’s a long weekend. I feel like I'm trapped in a low-budget Coen Brothers movie. But then, I see it: a bright yellow sign.
4:00 PM: Iowa's Best Fried Chicken - A Religious Experience (Almost)
I stumble across it by accident. The Old Bridge Inn is the name of the place. It's a hole-in-the-wall. The kind of place that smells of generations of fried food and the faint scent of regret. I go inside. The place is bustling. A group of rowdy locals are there. No one cares that I'm a tourist (thank goodness).
I order the chicken and fries, with a side of coleslaw. It arrives on a paper plate, hot, crispy, and glorious. I take a bite. Oh. My. God. This chicken is… transcendent. It's crispy, juicy, perfectly seasoned. I close my eyes and savor the moment. This, I think, is why I travel. For moments like these. This chicken is a win.
5:45 PM: Head back to the hotel, room finally ready. Settle in. This is where my usual travel routine goes awry: I try to be organized and pre-plan my days, and then proceed with an afternoon nap. Fail.
Day 2: Culture, Corn, and the Crushing Weight of Expectations
- 9:00 AM: Wake up. The room is… fine. The bed is comfortable. Standard hotel fare. Breakfast at the DoubleTree. The omelet station is a battleground. I make my own omelet but it comes out looking sad. I eat it anyway. Sigh.
- 10:00 AM: Cedar Rapids Museum of Art. (Okay, actually, it’s mostly the Grant Wood Studio.) I’m not a huge art person, but I feel obligated to be somewhat cultured. The paintings are… well, they’re Grant Wood. American Gothic is actually smaller than I thought. I get it. It’s iconic. But I quickly become bored.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch. The Old Bridge Inn didn't have a website to confirm that it was opened. So, I tried something new that turned out to be a mistake and a major miss, I don’t even remember the name of the place. I ordered a burger. It’s… edible.
- 2:00 PM: THE FARM - This is a must.
- 4:00 PM: Head back to the hotel, grab a swim in the DoubleTree's indoor pool. It's chlorine-y. I think I saw a kid pee in it. I don't care. I'm immune to everything.
- 7:00 PM: Attempt to eat dinner at the hotel restaurant. Again. I'm out. I go back to The Old Bridge Inn. It's just so good. I order another 10 piece, and devour it.
Day 3: Attempting to be Productive and Failing Beautifully
- 9:00 AM: Workout at the hotel gym. A treadmill. A couple of weights. Fine. I do my best, then spend more time staring at myself in the mirror. I make a mental note to start exercising again at home when I get back. I never do.
- 10:00 AM: Research various other attractions: The National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, the Brucemore. Whatever. I'm tired. The Iowa wind is relentless. It's making me cranky.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch. Okay, I need to embrace the local vibe. I’ll try to eat at another restaurant. I go to a place a friend recommended. I find that a local eatery is closed. I hate this so much. I'm going to The Old Bridge Inn.
- 3:00 PM: I watch a bad movie on television. Then, I go back to the hotel and eat another cookie. Sigh.
Day 4: Departure and Realizations
8:00 AM: Farewell breakfast at the DoubleTree. I eat a muffin, which is surprisingly delicious. I buy more cookies for the road.
10:00 AM: Check-out. This time, the front desk lady smiles. "Hope you enjoyed your stay!" she chirps.
12:00 PM: Farewell meal at The Old Bridge Inn before I head to the airport.
Plane Takeoff: And I think: Cedar Rapids! You were… an experience. You offered me a glimpse into a world I'd never have known. And those views…
Plane is home: Maybe all journeys are alike. And that's more than alright.
Final Thoughts:
Don't come to Cedar Rapids looking for a picture-perfect getaway. Come expecting some fried chicken and a whole lot of boredom. Embrace the unexpected, lower your expectations, and be prepared to laugh at how utterly human you are. And for Pete's sake, find The Old Bridge Inn. You'll thank me later. (Even if you hate everything else). Now, I need another cookie.
Escape to Paradise: Kenny Hotel's Jeju Island Oasis Awaits!
Cedar Rapids' BEST Hotel? DoubleTree's Secret Revealed! (Oh, You *Kinda* Had to Be There...)
Okay, Okay, Spill the Beans! Is the DoubleTree REALLY the Best Hotel in Cedar Rapids? Seriously?
Alright, alright, settle down! Look, "best" is subjective, right? Depends on what you're *after*. But if you're looking for a reliable, comfortable, and generally pleasant experience in Cedar Rapids, yeah, the DoubleTree by Hilton on Collins Road? Definitely up there. Honestly? Sometimes, it's the only option that doesn’t feel like you've wandered into a horror movie set.
What's the Deal With the Cookies? Everyone Raves About the Cookies! Are They *THAT* Good? And Don't Tell Me They're Just Standard Chocolate Chip!
THE COOKIES. Oh, the cookies. They are... a whole experience. It's a warm, gooey hug as soon as you walk in the door. See, it’s not just the taste (which IS amazing, perfectly melty, chocolatey, a little crispy on the edges - classic!), but it's the *feeling*. After a long drive, a brutal business meeting, or just a generally crummy day? That cookie is a mini-vacation. I once saw a grown man *weep* when they ran out. Okay, maybe not weep, but he was visibly... disappointed. Which is saying something. They're usually chocolate chip, but sometimes they have variations - cranberry oatmeal is a personal fave. (Don't @ me).
Besides Cookies, What Else Makes the DoubleTree Stand Out in a Sea of Hotels? Is the Pool Actually Worth Using?
Okay, so the cookies are the headliner, but the rest isn't chopped liver, either. The rooms are pretty standard, maybe a little... *dated* in places, but generally clean and comfortable. The beds? Usually a solid sleep. No backaches from questionable mattresses like some budget places. Pool? YES! The pool is decent! It's indoor, so you don't freeze to death during the Iowa winters. And the hot tub... ah, the hot tub. I've had some of my most profound thoughts in that hot tub. Probably because the bubbles lull you into a state of semi-consciousness. Just, you know, rinse off before you wander back to your room. Don't be *that* person.
A word of caution: sometimes the pool is overrun with screaming kids. But, hey, that's part of the package, right? Embrace the chaos!
Is the Location Convenient? Are There Any Restaurants or Things to Do Nearby? (I don't want to drive all over the place)
Location-wise? Not bad, not bad at all. You're right off Collins Road, which means easy access to... well, everything. There's a ton of restaurants nearby – from chain joints to some decent local spots. You're also close to the Lindale Mall, if shopping is your thing (it's not really mine, but hey, some people need their retail therapy!). You know what else is handy about the location? It's a quick jump to the airport. Which, honestly, is a huge plus when you're desperate to escape Cedar Rapids! (Just kidding… mostly.)
Let's Talk About the Staff. Are They Friendly? Because a Rudeness can ruin a whole trip!
The staff? Generally, yes, they're friendly and helpful. I mean, you're not going to get the Ritz-Carlton level of service, but they're usually professional and accommodating. I had a minor issue with a room once – the TV refused to cooperate. Called down, and someone was up there fixing it in like, five minutes. Now THAT’s what I call service! Little things can make or break a trip and they are usually good. Honestly, I've had very few negative experiences with the staff. It's almost too good to be true considering the other hotels.
Okay, Okay, Hit Me With the Downsides. Nothing’s Perfect!
Okay, fine. Nothing is perfect. Here are a few *potential* downsides:
- The Rooms: Some rooms could use a refresh. Are they *horrible*? No. Are they the newest thing in the world? Also, no.
- The Price: It can get a little pricey, especially during peak season or special events. Check online for deals!
- Parking: Usually, the parking situation is fine. But if there's a convention or something, it can get a bit crowded.
- The Breakfast...: It's a continental buffet, so nothing spectacular. The eggs are... well, they're eggs. Don't expect culinary masterpieces. Go elsewhere if you're a breakfast snob.
Would You Stay There Again? Honestly.
Absolutely. (As long as I'm not paying *too* much.) It's a reliable option. It’s comfortable. It's convenient. And, most importantly, it has those damn cookies. They’re a siren song, and I can't resist! Plus, I've built up some serious loyalty points there. (Don't judge me!) So yeah, I'll most likely be back. Maybe I'll see you there... just don't touch my cookie!
Seriously though, consider what you're after. The Cedar Rapids DoubleTree isn't going to change your life, but it's a solid, safe bet for a decent stay. And sometimes, that's all you need. Sometimes, you just need a warm cookie and a comfortable bed after a long day. And that, my friends, the DoubleTree delivers. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm suddenly craving a cookie...

