
Kyoto Luxury: Uncover RIHGA Place's Hidden Gems!
Kyoto Luxury: Uncover RIHGA Place's Hidden Gems! – A Review (And a Bit of a Therapy Session, Honestly)
Okay, so, Kyoto. You're picturing serene temples, geishas gliding through cobbled streets, and maybe… a healthy dose of overwhelm. Honestly, that’s what I felt before checking into RIHGA Place. I was drowning in a sea of choices, and frankly, terrified of ending up in a cramped, noisy shoebox hotel. But RIHGA Place… well, it surprised me. Big time.
Let's be real, I'm no travel blogger. I'm more of a "pack-too-much-and-forget-half-of-it" kind of person. So, this review is going to be more… real. No perfect prose, just my honest (and often messy) experience.
First Impressions: Accessibility & Welcome
Finding the place was a breeze, which, believe me, after battling Japanese street signs, felt almost… miraculous. Accessibility wise, I didn’t have any mobility issues, but I did scan the info. They proudly boast facilities for disabled guests (thank you, RIHGA!), and have an elevator which is a godsend after a day of temple-hopping. They also offer Airport transfer, which I didn't use – I'm all about the train. However, the proximity to the train station, and the car park [on-site] if you're driving, is a major plus.
The check-in/out [express] was fantastic. They did the whole thing with a smile and a bow, which is just part of the Japanese charm. And, they have Contactless check-in/out now, which is great in current times! I did notice the CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property, which honestly, made me feel really safe, especially after a late night out.
Rooms: My Sanctuary (and My Laundry Pile)
Okay, the room? Let's call it a haven. I'm not a minimalist, okay? I travel with more clothes than I need. So, the closet and extra long bed (genius!) were instant wins. Let's be honest, I spent way too much time on that bed. The blackout curtains were life-saving after a long day of exploring. And I'm a sucker for a good coffee/tea maker.
Available in all rooms? Yes! From Air conditioning (essential in humid Kyoto) to Hair dryer (thank the heavens!), they've thought of everything. I even had a refrigerator, perfect for storing those delicious Japanese snacks you pick up at the convenience store (I'm looking at you, matcha Kit Kats!). Free Wi-Fi? Absolutely! Internet access – wireless? You betcha. I even got an Internet access – LAN should I have needed one, which I didn't. The bathrobes were fluffy, the slippers were comfy, and the complimentary tea was a delightful touch. And yes, the daily housekeeping was a lifesaver. Because, as I mentioned earlier, my room always ends up resembling a laundry battlefield.
There’s was also a private bathroom, with a separate shower/bathtub, which, honestly, after a day of walking, was pure heaven. The towels? Thick and fluffy! And don't laugh, but I even had a scale. (Don't tell anyone, but I may have used it after all the amazing food…). They’d even provided toiletries. The only downside? I totally forgot my conditioner!
They had Seating area was nice for the morning's coffee, desk for my laptop, and the smoke detector and safety/security feature gave me peace of mind. I didn’t need the ironing facilities, I'm too lazy to iron. They had soundproof rooms which felt a little less loud.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking: My Stomach’s Paradise
Okay, this is where RIHGA Place really shined. I’m not a fussy eater, but I’m definitely a fan of good food. And they delivered. Big time.
- Breakfast [Buffet]: This was a glorious spectacle. I’m talking Western buffet and Asian! You could get everything from freshly baked bread to miso soup. The quality was top-notch, and the variety was insane. There was also an Asian breakfast available, which my friend raved about (I was too busy devouring a mountain of croissants, honestly). They offer Room service [24-hour] which is incredible.
- Restaurants: There’s more than one restaurant, offering options for all tastes! International cuisine in restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant and Asian cuisine in restaurant are all on offer!
- Coffee shop: A great place for a coffee and a quick snack!
- Poolside bar: I didn't get the chance to try it, but it sounded perfect.
- Snack bar: Great for a quick bite.
They also offer Alternative meal arrangement, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service which is super helpful. Bottle of water were given upon arrival. Coffee/tea in restaurant. There was even Soup in restaurant and Desserts in restaurant. They had a Vegetarian restaurant too.
The Safe dining setup gives me peace of mind. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items.
Ways to Relax (or Avoid People): My Escape
Look, I love exploring, but sometimes you just need to chill. RIHGA Place gets it.
- Pool with view: Seriously stunning. Floating in the water, looking out over the city… pure bliss. Especially at sunset.
- Spa: I got the massage. And, oh my GOD, was it amazing. I was convinced the masseuse worked magic. It's what I needed after a day of temple-hopping! In fact, I'm still thinking about it, the pressure, the oil, the feeling of my muscles melting… Okay, I'll stop. But seriously, go get a massage. It was worth it.
- Gym/fitness: I did a bit of time, just a little amount.
- Sauna: Tempting, but I didn’t get around to it. I regret it slightly.
- Foot bath: I didn't try, but it sounds amazing if you need to repair your feet.
Cleanliness and Safety: The Silent Heroes
Let's be honest, in this day and age, it matters. RIHGA Place clearly takes it seriously. I noticed the Hand sanitizer everywhere, the Staff trained in safety protocol, and the constant Daily disinfection in common areas. Rooms sanitized between stays, and the Professional-grade sanitizing services gave me peace of mind. They use Anti-viral cleaning products, and offer Room sanitization opt-out available.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
- Concierge: Super helpful with recommendations and bookings.
- Doorman: Always a friendly face.
- Laundry service: Essential for the messy traveller (ahem, me).
- Currency exchange: Convenient.
- Cash withdrawal: Useful.
- Daily housekeeping: Amazing.
- Luggage storage: Perfect for pre-check-in/post-check-out.
- Elevator: A lifesaver.
- Shop: Didn't use it, but it looked well-stocked.
They are also offering Contactless check-in/out, Invoice provided, Facilities for disabled guests, First aid kit, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, and Individually-wrapped food options
Things to Do: The City at Your Doorstep
This is Kyoto, people! You have the Shrine around the corner, the temples, the amazing food, the geisha district… The city is a feast for the senses. And, RIHGA Place gives you a great base to explore it all.
For the Kids: RIHGA Place is Family/child friendly. They offered Babysitting service, and Kids meal.
Getting around
- Car park [free of charge]: I went without a car. But it is there!
- Taxi service: I thought about it, but preferred the trains.
Final Thoughts (and a Few Imperfections)
Look, RIHGA Place isn’t perfect. No place is. The décor is maybe a tad… classic. And sometimes, the breakfast buffet was slightly crowded (but let's be honest, that's a buffet problem, not a RIHGA Place problem).
But, honestly? Those are minor quibbles. What matters is that RIHGA Place offers a genuinely enjoyable, comfortable, and convenient experience. It's a place where you can relax after a day of exploring, eat delicious food, and feel safe. It's a sanctuary in the heart of a beautiful, sometimes overwhelming, city.
Quirks and anecdotes
- The view from the

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we’re about to dive headfirst into a Kyoto adventure. And trust me, it’s not going to be all perfectly posed Instagram moments. This itinerary? It's more like the crumpled piece of paper you find in your pocket the day after a truly epic night.
RIHGA Place Kyoto Shijo Karasuma: Home Base & Hope
Day 1: Arrival & Sweet, Sweet Relief
- 1:00 PM: Touch down at Kansai International Airport (KIX). The flight was… well, let's just say the turbulence was an unwilling partner in my attempt at pre-trip meditation. Praying to the travel gods that the luggage finds its way to me and I don't spend my vacation wearing the same outfit for a week.
- 2:30 PM: Navigating the train to Kyoto was a Herculean task. The maps are confusing, the signs are cryptic, and I'm pretty sure I accidentally bumped into a salaryman's prized briefcase. (Apologies, sir!)
- 4:00 PM: Finally. RIHGA Place Kyoto Shijo Karasuma. Sweet, air-conditioned salvation. The lobby is fancier than anything I own, and the room itself is surprisingly spacious. (Hallelujah!) My immediate reaction? A primal urge to sprawl on the bed. I mean, really sprawl.
- 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM: Unpacking. Or, trying to. My suitcase looks like a grenade went off. Did I pack enough socks? Probably not.
- 6:00 PM: First culinary quest: Dinner at a restaurant nearby. I'm craving something simple but authentic… a true taste of Kyoto. My first impression? I'm still trying to figure out how to order in Japanese. (Send help, and maybe a translator app.)
- 8:00 PM: Post-dinner walk. A little stroll to get my bearings… and to avoid the siren song of the hotel bed. The streets are a mix of ancient charm and modern hustle. I want to soak it all in, my brain is still trying to catch up with the fact that I'm actually here.
Day 2: Temples, Teacups, and Tears (of Joy?)
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. Decent, but I miss my usual toast.
- 9:00 AM: Kiyomizu-dera Temple. Okay, this is where things really start getting real. The approach itself is stunning, lined with little shops selling everything from ceramic bells to matcha-flavored everything. I even bought a little figurine that I'm convinced grants wishes. (Don't judge me.) The view from the wooden stage? Breathtaking. Seriously, my jaw literally dropped. It's that good.
- 11:00 AM: Wandering through the backstreets near Kiyomizu-dera. This is where the real magic happens. Hidden cafes, tiny art galleries, and a general feeling of… well, peace. I found the cutest little tea shop and, after a somewhat awkward pantomime ordering process, I got the most divine matcha tea I've ever tasted. I'm pretty sure I actually got a little misty-eyed. Is it the tea? Is this just me, finally feeling relaxed? Who knows!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch. I'm determined to try something local. And, well… let's just say the tempura was memorable. (For reasons I'll politely omit.) But hey, trying new things, right?
- 2:30 PM: Fushimi Inari Shrine. This is the Instagram darling. The thousands of red torii gates winding up the mountain. Gorgeous. Overwhelming. And, after a while, my calves were screaming. I didn't make it to the very top. I got about halfway up, and decided that my aching legs and a few rogue mosquito bites were my limit. But the experience? Incredible.
- 5:00 PM: The little shop that stole my heart and my wallet. I purchased a small, hand-painted ceramic cat. The owner, with kind eyes, said something in Japanese. I gave her a large, delighted smile, and left.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. I'm officially obsessed with ramen. Comfort food at its finest.
- 8:30 PM: Back to the hotel. Another moment to enjoy my room. I want to spend all afternoon reading, and reflecting.
Day 3: Bamboo, Battles, and a Moment of Zen (Maybe)
- 9:00 AM: The Arashiyama Bamboo Grove. Okay, prepare yourself. It's stunning. Like, jaw-dropping stunning. But it's also packed. I was jostled and pushed by people trying to get their perfect Instagram shot. I got a couple of decent photos, but more importantly, I let myself get lost in the feeling of being here. The way the sunlight filters through the bamboo… it's pure magic.
- 11:00 AM: Tenryu-ji Temple. A tranquil oasis. I found a quiet spot and just… breathed. It was exactly what I needed after the crowds in the grove. Just for a moment, I was fully present.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch in Arashiyama. Got a decent bowl of noodles at a shop. It's easy to get overwhelmed with hunger when you are walking around.
- 2:30 PM: The Samurai & Ninja Museum Kyoto. I went in with my doubts. It felt a bit "touristy." But, you know what? It was FUN. I actually held a (blunted, thank goodness) katana. It was heavy! Impressive demonstrations of swordplay and a history lesson. My inner kid was thrilled.
- 5:00 PM: Walking tour, and experiencing some street food. From the street food I taste the local cuisine.
- 7:00 PM: A nice and relaxing dinner, and a long, and much-needed nap in a wonderful bed.
Day 4: Kyoto's Soul & Saying Goodbye (Sob)
- 9:00 AM: Doubling Down on Kyoto's soul. Kyoto Imperial Palace and Nijo Castle. I wish I'd done more research. I should have booked a tour earlier, or gotten a sense of the landscape, history and culture. But I still can feel the weight of history, and I love that I got to experience this.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch near the castle. The food was good. Nothing special, I'm still trying things.
- 1:30 PM: Packing. The dreaded final act. I still have a ton of things to do and see.
- 3:00 PM: One last walk through the Gion district. Hoping for a glimpse of a geisha. I didn't see one.
- 5:00 PM: A last-minute souvenir shop. I still have so much to see, and so little time and money.
- 7:00 PM: A farewell dinner. Reflecting on the beautiful trip.
- 8:00 PM: Drinks. Reflecting again.
- 9:00 PM: Last visit on one of my favourite spot, trying to collect last visual memories.
- 10:00 PM: I have to keep saying goodbye.
Day 5: Departure - And the Longing
- 6:00 AM: Last walk. The sunrise is a blessing.
- 8:00 AM: Airport bound.
- 10:00 AM: Goodbye, Japan. Until next time…
Goodbye to Kyoto! I can't wait to go home and share all of my memories!
Final Thoughts:
This trip wasn't perfect. I got lost. I felt overwhelmed. I ate some questionable food. But it was real. It was human. And I wouldn't trade it for anything. Kyoto, you beautiful, bewildering, utterly captivating city. Until next time…
Sunlit Splendor Awaits: Your Dream Alibaug Escape at StayVista
Kyoto Luxury: Uncover RIHGA Place's Hidden Gems! (…And My Chaotic Opinions)
Okay, so…RIHGA Place Kyoto? Is it REALLY worth the hype? Because, let's be honest, luxury hotels in Kyoto are a dime a dozen.
Alright, listen! The hype? Kinda. The price tag? Oof, yes. But hear me out. Going in, I was skeptical. Another fancy Kyoto hotel with a polished facade and a staff who seems more invested in politeness than genuine connection? I've been burned before. But… RIHGA Place? It wasn't *perfect*. There were definitely… *moments*. Like, finding a rogue sock under the bed (mine, I swear!). And the initial confusion trying to navigate the sprawling grounds. Seriously, took me a good hour to figure out the best route to the *onsen* (more on that later). But! The "hidden gems" aspect? Definitely a win. You need to know where to look.
What's the *onsen* like? Because that's make or break, right? And is it crowded with tourists?
The *onsen*... Okay, deep breaths. The *onsen*. Let's start with the aesthetics: stunning. Think dark wood, soft lighting, and serene rock formations. It’s supposed to be a tranquil escape, a portal to zen… until you accidentally bump into someone's bare bum while trying to find a comfortable spot! (Mortifying, I tell you, mortifying!) Crowds? Thankfully, no. I went at odd hours, and it was blissfully empty at times. The water itself? Divine. Hot, mineral-rich, and wonderfully soothing. It's that kind of soak that melts away all your travel stress. BUT…and there's always a but, isn't there? One night, I swear, I heard a guy *snoring* in the communal bath. Snoring! Seriously! I mean, is that a *thing*? I wanted to yell but then I just... giggled. That's the kind of chaotic energy you'll get around a public onsen.
Let's talk rooms. Are they actually "luxury"? Or just…expensive boxes?
Oh, the rooms. Let's just say I *felt* like a character in a Wes Anderson movie. The design is minimalist, elegant, with a distinct, almost clinical, feel (in a good way!). The beds? Cloud-like. The sheets? The kind you want to steal and wrap yourself in forever. The lighting was perfect, enough to allow me to read late into the night. The view... well, I could barely see due to the fog, which was fine but not a highlight. The bathroom? Honestly, the best part. Not just fancy tiles and a rainfall shower, but actual *thought* put into the layout. Plenty of space, good water pressure, and a heated toilet seat (a MUST for Kyoto winters, trust me). The only "complaint"? The sheer size of the room. I got lost once or twice.
What about the food? Gotta know if breakfast is worth waking up for. And are the restaurants any good?
Breakfast? Yes. Absolutely, unreservedly, YES. It’s not just about fuelling up for a day of temple hopping; it's an EXPERIENCE. The buffet...oh, the buffet. A stunning array of Japanese and Western options. The pastries were works of art. The fresh fruit was ridiculously good. And the coffee… well, I have a serious addiction, and it passed the test. Restaurants? Okay, I'll be honest. I’m a picky eater. But I found one restaurant where the food was *incredible*. It had such unique dishes that I actually tried something new, which NEVER happens. The service was impeccable, the atmosphere was perfect. I think the name was *The something something*. I've completely forgotten! But it was worth looking for. One thing: Be prepared to pay for it. Luxury in Kyoto comes with a price tag, people! Consider it an investment in your happiness (and your Instagram feed!).
What's the best "hidden gem" at RIHGA Place that most people miss? Spill the tea!
Okay, okay. The secret jewel? Here goes... It's not a physical thing. It's the *staff*. Seriously. Yes, they’re polite, and yes, they speak perfect English. But they’re also *genuinely* helpful. I dropped my phone (clumsy, I know) and cracked the screen. I thought my trip was ruined. The staff...they actually helped me find a repair shop. They even translated for me! That's when I realized it was a hidden gem. Also, there's a tiny little garden tucked away near the spa, where you can sit and reflect. I spent ages there. It's *almost* impossible to find, so you'll feel like you have the place to yourself.
Okay, the big question: Would you go back to RIHGA Place? Flaws and all?
Hmm. That's a tough one. Look, it's not perfect. It’s expensive. You might find a rogue sock. You might nearly trip over someone in the *onsen*. But... the staff's kindness, the amazing beds, the food and the spa... I think I would. Yes, I'd go back. Just maybe not *immediately*. Gotta let my bank account recover first. But yes, I'd do it again. And I might try to keep my bum-shyness at bay in the bath this time. Who knows?

